Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Just a little each day...

I realized today how long it has been since I've been able to post on here...life gets busy and the little things slip away. Something I was thinking about while walking from class here to work today was how important it is, every day, to take a few seconds or if you have time, an hour or so, to be aware of your Judaism. Let me explain my thought process...

For me, interning and working at Hillel is a sure fire way for me to make sure I get a dose of Judaism in my life every few days. I'm always Jewish, but I'm not always thinking about my Judaism (if that makes sense). When I do have a chance to either read an article posted by UF Hillel or UF Israel or when I see one of my friends from Hillel on campus I am reminded. Those little moments are so important to me because it keeps reminding me of who I am, where I come from and how important it is to keep these thoughts with me as I move forward.

One of my favorite things to discuss with Rabbi Daniel Wolnerman is the importance of breaking the habit (tying the other shoe first), making sure we are aware and not just merely living, but experiencing the life we live. I think this is such an important life lesson to learn and especially to learn and understand as soon as you can.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but my schedule isn't one that leaves a lot of room for free time. Because of this, I do my best to take the small times I have walking between classes, driving to and from work to in some way shape or form think about Hillel or Israel, my Judaism or even just how I'm keeping myself aware.

I want to challenge all of you, especially as the semester is starting to pick up with midterms etc., to really be aware. Take a few moments each day to remind yourself of what is important to you, Jewish or not.

Some things you can do:
  • Come to Hillel for any number of their programs every week (Lunch and Learn, Krav Maga, Torah on Tap, Shabbat services and more!)
  • Sit down and chat with Jess, Jeff or Josh
  • Discuss your ideals with Rabbi Daniel
  • Stop by and say hello to Keith, Blair and Corby
Just create a home for yourself here with the things you love... I promise you there is something here for everyone. Happy Tuesday, everyone!

B'Ahavah,
Jordan
Israel Memories...
Birthright Bus 2- May 2011
"Saying goodbye to the soldiers"

Right to Left: Jordan Barrish, Shahar Kuleski, Kari Hochwald

No comments:

Post a Comment