Mitzvah Day was a huge success and we couldn't have done it without you! Thank you so much for your support throughout the process of planning Mitzvah Day. Below is a summary of everything that went into making Mitzvah Day possible.
We received $500 from The Union for Reform Judaism, $250 from our local Challah for Hunger Chapter, $1000 from The Jewish Student Union, $100 from our local Alpha Phi Omega Chapter, $190 from Jewish Council of North Central Florida, $120 from our local chapter of Jewish Graduates and Young Professionals, and other in-kind donations.
We spent $38.12 on rollers to paint the YMCA.
We spent $251.81 on supplies to make bagged lunches for the homeless community.
We spent $1027.00 on t-shirts.
We spent $642.27 on breakfast for volunteers.
We spent $22.00 on hay to bring to Alachua County Animal Services to set up in the animal play area.
We spent $187.62 on brochures.
We spent $15.87 on a banner for advertising.
We spent $31.23 on nametags for participants, construction paper and other art supplies to make butterflies for the Houston Holocaust Museum’s Butterfly project, drop cloths to bring to the YMCA.
- 52 bagels from Panera Bread
- 200 pages of copies from Study Edge
Final List of Projects:
- American Jewish World Service (AJWS) – fundraising through t-shirt sales as participation in their 25K challenge
- Agency for Persons with Disabilities – Respite event for parents of children with Disabilities
- Animal Services – cleaning up the animal shelter, pulling weeds in the yard, spreading out 4 bales of hay for the animals to play with, bathing some of the animals
- Art Project – creating centerpieces for the Shabbos tables at Hillel with materials recycled at Hillel
- Bread of the Mighty Foodbank – canned food and toiletry drive
- Citizens Co-op – hanging flyers to advertise for the newly opened co-op. We are Gainesville’s food cooperative. Our mission is to help grow a community-based food system through the creation and establishment of a food market that will offer a bountiful selection of natural foods and products.
- Co-op Market - help to hand out locally grown thanksgiving items to members of the community
- Forest Green – field day with the kids who live in Forest Green Apartments, government subsidized housing
- G.E.A.R. – cleaning up a state park that has been littered with trash by the people who live along the borders
- Gift of Life – swabbing cheeks of volunteers to have their information inputted into the national database to find bone marrow donations
- Emeritus – spending the day with residents at a nursing home
- Hope Lodge – sealing the benches that were recently installed in their garden
- Israel Project – educating Sunday school classes about Israel and making cards for children in Alyn Children’s Hospital in Israel
- Kanapaha Botanical Gardens – cleaning up invasive plant species
- Meridian Behavioral - The students painted the exterior of Building R, weeded the MIST garden, shampooed the carpet in the 2 group rooms in the Bridge House, weeded “Gary’s Woods” and weeded the Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU) flower boxes.
- Petsmart – helping with an adoption and assisting in data entry
- Ronald McDonald House – making cookies for the families staying in the house while receiving medical care from UF at Shands
- St. Francis House – making over 250 bagged lunches for the homeless community in Gainesville
- The Butterfly Project – making butterflies to commemorate the 1.5 million children who perished in the Holocaust, a project started by The Houston Holocaust Museum The Edible Plant Project – planting in the recently constructed greenhouse at The Edible Plant Project, which is a not-for-profit, volunteer-based group working to promote edible landscaping and local food abundance in North Central Florida. The goal of the EPP is to create positive alternatives to the unsustainable food system in this country.
- YMCA – priming the hallways in their building
- Please go to www.ufmitzvahday.wordpress.com to view all of the press on Mitzvah Day, pictures, updates, etc.
- Mitzvah Day memories – Photos from around the world!
- Photos from Gainesville!
- UF Club Swimming swims their way out to Mitzvah Day!
- Student Event Finder helping gather volunteers!
- Gator Times spreading the word!
- Mitzvah Day International telling the world about our good work!
- Women’s Student Association made the canned food drive a competition!
- Mitzvah Day was a part of Israel Month!
- Horizons making their way OUTSIDE for Mitzvah Day!