Friday, August 24, 2012

Shabbos is coming!


When I came to Hillel that first Friday night as a freshman back in the Fall of ‘09, I did so because I wanted to continue to experience the Shabbat that I had at home and during my three years in USY (United Synagogue Youth group). I went in nervous, but excited and observed the room while quietly chatting with some people I knew. It was not until dinner that I began to feel more comfortable, offering up my name and major to the Rabbi that was walking around introducing himself and the other freshman sitting at our table, some of whom I already knew. Still, I didn’t know if this was something that I would continue to attend. I decided to go that next Shabbat and I am glad that I did because I continued to meet new people that would later become some of my closest friends. While I had a nice time that first Shabbat, I am truly happy that I gave it a second chance. That Shabbat, the one after that, and the one after that for the last three years has given me so much perspective on what it means to be a Jew today.

Now, as I begin my senior year, I have become incredibly nostalgic about the time I have spent here at the University of Florida. I am constantly reminded of the friends I have made, the laughs I have shared, and the challah I have gorged on at Hillel. On that note, I encourage you and your friends to join us for the first Shabbat of the semester at Hillel tonight. Traditional, Conservative and Reform services will begin at 7:30pm followed by a delicious and FREE (thanks to our generous donors) kosher Shabbat dinner at 8:30pm. It’s just like the one your Bubbe used to make. You can join us for services or just for dinner, either way we would love to celebrate the end of the first school week with you!

Shabbat Shalom,

Sarah Pila

No comments:

Post a Comment