Thursday, August 30, 2012

When I Reach Out to You and You to me...

August 19th marked Rosh Chodesh Elul- the beginning of the Jewish month of Elul-which is the month leading up to the High Holidays.  Rabbi Phyllis Sommer, who is the associate rabbi at Congregation Am Shalom in Glencoe, Illinois, started a movement called Blog Elul (#blogelul).  Every day is associated with a  different topic that allows and encourages us to reflect on the past year and the upcoming holiday season.  I've joined the movement and made an effort to blog everyday on my personal blog (misswanderingjew.wordpress.com).


How do you see yourself as a person?  Who looks back at you when you look in the mirror?  Does your Judaism play any role in this image you have of yourself? 
It is said that we are all created B'tzelem Elohim, in God's image (for more about B'tzelem Elohim, check out Dan Nichol's song B'tzelem Elohim).  What does that mean to you?
Many students arrive at college and see an opportunity to change.  To be a new person.  To change the image that others have of him/herself.  How can we do this while maintaining that piece of God that is inside all of us?


My name is Missy and I am a senior here at UF.  I am majoring in Jewish Studies and Family, Youth, and Community Sciences.  I am the Jewish Learning intern on the Manoa board of Hillel.  And Hillel is a big part of my life and identity as a college student.  I'm interested in you and your interests, especially as they relate to Judaism and Jewish Learning.  If you're interested in creating or participating in Jewish Learning opportunities here at UF Hillel, please let me know.  It's important to me that programs are focused on what you want to learn.  Yes, YOU.  So give me a shout: jewishlearning@ufhillel.org


Can't wait to hear from you!
B'Shalom (in peace),
Missy

If you're interested in blog Elul, here is the calendar for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment