Friday, September 21, 2012

Guten Shabbos!

I thought this was humorous.
I hope everyone enjoyed last week’s post with Rosh Hashanah parodies because I sure did! It was a great way to celebrate the holiday and begin my personal reflection for the New Year - probably due to the fact that I couldn’t get some of them out of my head!

On a more serious matter, this upcoming Shabbat is a special one and not just because of some really awesome guests we have coming (Welcome Board of DIrectors and Representative Deutsch!), but because it is the Shabbat between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (the only one that can occur between these two holidays). Shabbat Shuva sits right in the middle of the ten Days of Awe (or Repentance) during which we are urged to reflect on our year, leading up to the day of atonement on Yom Kippur. Remember, Yom Kippur is a time to ask for forgiveness for sins committed between you and G-d, not for those that are committed between others. We are supposed to use the Days of Awe to apologize to any of those people we may have harmed this year, ask for their forgiveness, and commit to being better in the New Year. On Rosh Hashanah we ask that we are inscribed in the Book of LIfe, but it is not until Yom Kippur that the Book of Life is sealed for good. I will be making my amends and reflecting this Shabbat while watching the Gators kick some Kentucky booty! I hope that you too, will consider this time for personal reflection and do the same. In addition, I hope that everyone who observes the fasting tradition on Wednesday for Yom Kippur has a safe and easy fast!

Shabbat Shalom, a Happy Shabbat Shuva, and Go Gators!
-Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment