Thursday, September 6, 2012

It's Market Day!

It's very appropriate that I write my blogs on Thursdays.  For those of you who don't know Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are all Torah reading days (because in olden times those were the market days and Torah was read at market).  So I might use this blog to occasionally share some insights into Parshat HaShavua, the weekly Torah portion.

This week's Torah portion is Ki Tavo.  A passage from Ki Tavo states: 
You shall cast yourself down before the Presence of God and you shall rejoice in all the good that God has given you and your household. You shall also give portions to the Levite, the stranger, the orphan, and the widow. They shall eat it within your gates and be satisfied. In the third year of giving portions, you shall say in God's presence that you have followed the commandments for giving regularly to those less fortunate. You shall then ask God to bless the Israelites and the soil.

So what does this mean for us?  For college students and citizens of 21st century America?  Just because we aren't leaving a corner of our fields for the stranger, the orphan, and the widow, doesn't mean that they are any less our responsibility.  We must care for our fellow man so that when it is us who is the stranger, the orphan, or the widow, there is someone to care for us.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Missy and I am a senior here at UF majoring in Jewish Studies and Family, Youth, and Community Sciences.  I am the Jewish Learning intern on the Manoa board of Hillel.  And Hillel is a big part of my life and identity as a college student.  I'm interested in you and your interests, especially as they relate to Judaism and Jewish Learning.  If you're interested in creating or participating in Jewish Learning opportunities here at UF Hillel, please let me know.  It's important to me that programs are focused on what you want to learn.  Yes, YOU.  So give me a shout: jewishlearning@ufhillel.org.  


Can't wait to hear from you!
B'Shalom (in peace),
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment