Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Rosh Hashanah so call your Zayde!

I’m not sure if you all know this about me, but I absolutely love the High Holidays, particularly Rosh Hashanah. Like I said two weeks ago, I really use the holiday as a time to reflect on the last year and make commitments to being a better Jew and a better person. Nothing gets me more excited for the New Year than receiving the annual update emails that my dad sends out to our family and friends. It is weird to read about the year in perspective for our family, but it also makes me proud of how much we have grown in the last year. I look forward to reclaiming our ‘high holiday seats’ at the synagogue my family has belonged to for close to 30 years and this year’s Rosh Hashanah is no different. The whole mishpacha (family in Hebrew) will be in town to join in on the festivities which makes it even more exciting.

But enough about me, another thing I love about Rosh Hashanah and the Jewish High Holidays is the parodies and videos that come along with the season. I have posted some of my favorite, most energizing clips to prepare for the High Holidays here:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaQSbuTiBg - This is the Maccabeats’ Book of Good Life. Great for acapella fans and girls who love cute Jewish boys who can sing.

2. http://blogs.rj.org/blog/2012/09/04/its-rosh-hashanah-so-call-your-zeyde/ It’s Rosh Hashanah So Call Your Zayde is a great parody on Carly Rae Jepsen’s hit ‘Call Me Maybe.’ Special thanks to Sarah Pollack for sharing this one with me!

http://www.aish.com/h/hh/video/What-Makes-Rosh-Hashanah-Beautiful.html What makes Rosh Hashanah Beautiful was made by students of Aish Jerusalem and will be enjoyed by everyone - even those who may not be One Direction fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoN6uFxhww Temple Beth El’s High Holy Days are Upon Us is from last year but it is certainly a classic in my eyes. I suggest you skip to 3:00 minutes for a beautiful verse by Missy Rachel Goldstein’s mom, Lisa!

On that note, I hope you enjoy those videos as much as I did. I wish everyone a happy and healthy Jewish New Year. May you inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life for another good year.

L’Shana Tova Tikatevu,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment