Friday, September 7, 2012

Shabbat ISRAELI Awesome!

Imagine the most picturesque setting in the Old City of Jerusalem, surrounded by thirty of your closest friends, singing the Kabbalat Shabbat service at the top of your lungs. The streets are quiet and the air is sweet. I know this sounds totally cheesy, but my most memorable Shabbat experience in Israel during my high school trip was just what I described.

As the sun came down that Friday night in Jerusalem, our group leader had us trek out to a park a few blocks away from the hostel we were staying at that weekend. We passed the time on the walk by talking and laughing in small groups with a few people in the back shouting “Shabbat Shalom” at every passerby. With our prayer books in our hands, we probably looked crazy to these native Israelis!

We finally made it to the grassy park overlooking the Old City of Jerusalem. It was, and probably still is, my favorite view in the world. We got into a circle and just starting singing. I already love the Kabbalat Shabbat service, but it was even more beautiful in this gorgeous setting with my close-knit group.

I believe that everyone deserves this wonderful Shabbat experience too. That is why, if you are Birthright eligible or have friends that are, I encourage you and your friends to join us tonight at Hillel for a Birthright Reunion Shabbat. You will be surrounded by people that have experienced the glory of Shabbat in Israel and that can help you on your journey to Birthright registration. Services will start at 7:30 and a delicious, Israeli-themed dinner will be provided (thanks to our generous donors) at 8:40. We hope that you will join us!

Shabbat Shalom,
Sarah


The view from the park before Shabbat

No comments:

Post a Comment