Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tzedek Tuesdays!


Hope everyone had a safe and fun Labor Day weekend! Tzedek Tuesdays are back and they’re going to be better than ever! Check back every Tuesday for updates on Tzedek events and just general social action/social justice alerts!

This week I want to let everyone know about a new initiative I will be starting in the Hillel building. I hope everyone knows about the Ronald McDonald House Charities and all the amazing things they do for families when their children are in the hospital. If you don’t, you should go look them up right now!  The Ronald McDonald House Charities is a very special organization for me and I will be forever grateful for the assistance they offered to my parents when I was in the hospital over twelve years ago. Ever since my experience with them when I was just eight years old, I have dedicated a lot of my time to giving back to the organization including dedicating my Bat mitzvah project to them and occasionally volunteering at my local House.

What can you do to help benefit this incredible organization and what does it have to do with my new initiative? Glad you asked! You know those aluminum tabs on your soda cans? The Ronald McDonald House collects these tabs and brings them to a recycling center and can get money for all those tabs! Now that Hillel has a soda machine, I’m going to place tab houses around the building so that instead of just throwing away the tabs, everyone can help our local Ronald McDonald House to raise more money! So keep an eye out for those tab houses and if you’re interested in keeping one in your dorm, apartment, or house just let me know (email me at pshapiro@ufl.edu) and I will be more than happy to get one for you! Bring your tabs into Hillel or to me and we can all help our Ronald McDonald house be able to aid even more families in the future.

Hope to see everyone collecting those tabs! Don’t forget about our Birthright reunion Shabbat this Friday. Bring a Birthright eligible friend for Israeli salad, humus, and maybe even some schnitzel! See you all there! 

Happy Tuesday!
Pammie 

No comments:

Post a Comment